Our next stop was Pompeii. I remember first learning about this buried city in school. The idea of being buried alive by hot volcanic ash was hellish. As we were heading out of Naples, the volcano responsible for this act, Mount Vesuvius, came into view.
 |
| Naples with Mount Vesuvius in the background. |
 |
| A look at the volcano heading out of Naples. |
 |
| The great Mount Vesuvius. |
It didn't take long before we arrived.
 |
| Although we were hungry for lunch, we didn't stop here! |
Once we pulled into the city--a very touristy one at that--Stefania guided us to an indoor cafe. I have to say that I personally was very grateful to eat inside as the temperatures outside were the hottest that we had experienced since arriving in Italy.
 |
| A relaxing lunch. |
 |
| Christina and Bobby sitting with their eldest, Melody. |
 |
After being trapped on the train with her
four children, Mom needed this glass of vino--badly!! |
 |
| Kids table--their preferred seating arrangement! |
 |
| Our sweet Stefania! |
After lunch, the group dispersed into the market area. William really wanted an Italy hat that was like the one his cousin, Ian, had purchased in Florence. William and I found a vendor that was selling baseball caps and picked out a hat that he liked. When we went up to find out the cost--surprise! surprise! It was ridiculous!! I told the peddler that there was no way we were paying that price. And, so began our foray into haggling with this man. We went back and forth several times--with us walking away a couple of those and him chasing us down--to the impasse of a couple of euros. It helped that I knew what my brother, Stephen, had paid for his son's hat. There was no way that I was going to pay more. When all was said and done, we did not purchase the hat from this guy, but we did buy one from a lovely lady in Anacapri the next day.
 |
| William and I were haggling over the price of a hat. |
 |
| Anna checking out the goods. |
 |
| Stephen and Ian searching for souvenirs. |
 |
| Anna and Bill (lower right hand corner) browsing the markets. |
It was time to meet our local guide, so we headed to the entrance of the ruins to find Hector. The walk to the entrance was beautiful. It was lined with gorgeous trees and colorful plants.
 |
| Walking up to the ruins. |
 |
| Some of the ruins. |
 |
| Ruins with the volcano in the background. |
 |
Swope family (minus the photographer, Christina)
near the entrance to the ruins. |
We all decided to stay under the shade until Hector and Stefania had all of the arrangements made to enter the grounds. This was a reoccurring theme as it was so hot that day. It was 31 ºC (88 ºF) and a bright blue sky. At different spots around the entrance, vendors were selling frozen water bottles. I thought that this was a marvelous idea. We used the bottles not only for drinking, but also as ice compresses for the back of people's necks and knees to keep them cool. Did I mention that it was hot?!?!
 |
| Ahh...Christina...finally caught on camera at the front gates. |
 |
| Waiting for our local tour guide to arrive. |
Before long, we were entering the ruins to sweat it out with other tourists. The sights were amazing. The city had been buried for over 1,600 years before being rediscovered. And, because of the ash fall perfectly preserving the remains, we were able to see exactly how Romans lived in 79 AD. They were definitely more advanced than I imagined. They had a system set-up that seemed to work pretty well.
I happened to find a spectacular view. As we were walking through the buried city, I snuck off from the group to look at some digs still being uncovered. The area was roped off, but there was a spot where I could stand and look down the coast towards the sea. I immediately understood why the ancient city was built where exactly where it was--the view. The city is built on a hill so behind you is the beautiful Mount Vesuvius with its green foliage and in front of you are the blue waters of the Tyrrhenian Sea. Standing where I was (in the shade of some ancient Roman building), I could even feel a cool breeze. It was awesome!
 |
Hector, our guide (in hat), about to
walk us up to the ancient marketplace. |
 |
| Mom hiding...I mean, seeking out shelter from the sun. |
 |
| Abbey at a water basin. |
 |
| Hector explaining some of early Roman customs. |
 |
Stephen goofing off behind the guide's back and
showing off his Roman God-ness!! |
 |
| Mosaic flooring. |
 |
| Standing under one of several archways. |
 |
| Hector showing our group an ancient well. |
 |
A cast was made in the ruins to find out what was
buried in the ash and mud--it was this person trying
to shield themselves from the eruption. |
 |
| So surreal. |
 |
| Shade!!! |
 |
| Swope siblings (standing in the shade). |
 |
| Bob sweating it out! |
 |
| Bill's picture of a Roman Temple. |
Once we finished our tour of the ruins, we walked back to our (thankfully) air-conditioned bus and set our sights on Sorrento. We knew the hotel had a pool and every single one of us wanted to jump in it immediately!
TO BE CONTINUED...
No comments:
Post a Comment