Monday, May 7, 2012

Europe 2011: Florence to Naples by Train

The cousins hanging out on the rooftop
of the hotel before leaving Florence.
After having explored the region of Tuscany thoroughly, we needed quick passage to the Campania region. Since Mom and Dad had wanted to give us the experience of riding the trains in Europe, there was no better time than now to jump on board the FrecciaRossa--Italy's high-speed trains.

Dad in the bus on the way to the
train station.
We loaded up on the bus--which had taken us from Venice to Florence--one final time. The plan was to take the train to Naples where a new bus and driver would meet us. Before we knew it, we were pulling into the Santa Maria Novella Train Station. A group of men were waiting to snatch our bags from the coach and move them to the proper platform. Stefania, already having our tickets, hustled us through the front of the station and led us back to where the trains arrived and departed.

The kids, and many of us grown-ups, were excited to get on the FrecciaRossa (Red Arrow). These trains travel at 360km/h (225mph).  Since we had some time to spare, we were able to watch several trains come and go. Each time it was exhilarating to watch the train down the tracks come barreling up to the station and then slowing suddenly as it approached the platform. So cool!

Looking back at the main terminal from our platform.
Mary Elizabeth (lower left) taking a picture of a train.
Our group waiting on the platform.
William and Miles sharing their excitement!
Hanging out before our train.
Our train arrives!
Our train information.
Very prompt trains!
Anna with our train in the background.
Once our train arrived, we were ushered on board by Stefania. I was worried about our bags all getting on in time. The trains were surprisingly prompt and I was concerned that with the sheer volume of our bags that the porters weren't going to be able to get them all on the train in time. In fact, after the train began to pull away from the station, I ran around counting suitcases just to be sure! Thankfully, all the bags made it.

Our "on board" navigation.
Abbey and Anna waiting for the train to
pull out of the station.
Mom trying to keep her injured foot elevated.
Look at that swelling. She was in some serious pain!
The group getting settled. David Jr. was happy
 to get his laptop out and connected. 
Once the train pulled out and gathered its traveling speed, I spent the majority of the time looking out of the windows. Magnifico!! There were fields and fields of sunflowers, authentic farmhouses that looked many hundreds of years old, huge vineyards, and quaint churches dotting the landscape everywhere. It was so peaceful to sit there and take in all the beauty. I think I could ride the trains everyday.




All too soon, we arrived in Naples (less than three hours). We were warned by Stefania that we all needed to keep track of our belongings as Naples has a reputation for thieves and pickpockets. She didn't just warn us about this once, she warned us several times--and coming from a true-blooded Italian, it made it all the more scary! So, by the time we got off the train, I was convinced that one of us was going to be a victim of thievery. However, we were whisked off the train and led quickly to our new bus and waiting driver so hastily, that everyone escaped unscathed.

The girls claiming their seats on the new bus.
Picture of Naples from the coach window.
Naples traffic...the mopeds would just
weave through traffic, sometimes coming
too close for comfort to other vehicles!
Gas station attendant.
Naples was a very interesting place. I have to say that it is probably at the bottom of my list of cities that I liked in Italy. It was, of course, very dirty due to the garbage strike. Additionally, there was also quite a bit of graffiti. Lest I neglect to mention, the maze of clothesline spanning from window to window, window to balcony, window to exposed pipe, etc..

I was very glad that our time in Naples was brief. We were moving on to Pompeii--the ancient city located 14 miles southeast of Naples and at the southeastern base of Mount Vesuvius. Although the volcano last erupted in 1944, I was more than willing to leave Naples and take my chances in Pompeii.

TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments: