Thursday, March 3, 2011

Rock 'n Roll Marathon

During the month of January, my clan flew off to Phoenix for some hard work and good fun. To be fair, the only one of us four that had to do hard work was Bill. He and Misty were running the Rock 'n Roll Marathon. We had started talking about this marathon months beforehand. But while I was still talking about it, Bill and Misty were ACTUALLY training for it.

It wasn't long before the day arrived and Bill, Misty and Misty's friend, Mandy, were off to trot all over Phoenix. Matt and I were in the "follow cars." In my car, I had Anna & William. While in Matt's car, he had Maggie & CeCe.

It was incredibly awe-inspiring to watch them tackle this endeavor. Bill was wearing a tracking device that sent messages to my phone with his location and progress. The kids and I were very impressed with his speed and timing. We were lucky enough to find him on the course (which was challenging considering that many of the streets were blocked off due to the marathon). As soon as we saw him, our hearts and feet leapt up immediately. William even decided to join him and ran along side Bill for a bit. It was so sweet! I swelled with pride, admiration and respect for Bill.

Our next stop was to find Bill at the finish line. This was no easy task! Matt and I both had a horrible time with the crowds and with signage directing you to the right finish line. In fact, Matt ended up at the full-marathon finish line; while I ended up at the half-marathon finish line. We were both in the wrong place. However, it finally came together and we found our runners! They looked surprisingly well. I was expecting vomiting (there were plenty of people who were doing it) or, at the very least, collapsing at the finish line. But, they grabbed a drink and were ready to head back home--just like that! AMAZING!!!

Below are some pictures before, during and after the race:






No comments: